UFC sending Frank Mir to Strikeforce to fight Daniel Comier

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject. Share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, ...

Who you got on this?

Daniel Comier (Strikeforce)
81%
Frank Mir (UFC)
19%

Total votes : 42

UFC sending Frank Mir to Strikeforce to fight Daniel Comier

Postby lexecutioner13 » Jul 25. 2012, 22:11

Follow MMASHARE - Just enter your e-mail:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/story/2012-07-25/Mir-moves-to-Strikeforce-for-now/56492782/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=usa+today+sports

USA TODAY Sports confirmed with UFC and Strikeforce officials that Mir had agreed to meet Strikeforce grand prix winner and former two-time Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 Strikeforce) in the co-main event of the Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy fight card Sept. 29 at Power Balance Pavilion in Sacramento. It will air on Showtime.
"There has been a lot of speculation as to who Cormier would fight next, and this is the fight that makes the most sense," UFC President Dana White said. "The reality is, Cormier is one of the best heavyweights in the world. He just won the grand prix and beat Josh Barnett. He needs to fight opponents of that caliber, and Frank Mir is that guy."
Strikeforce was purchased by the UFC's parent company, Zuffa, in March 2011. The companies have since operated independently, and differences between White and Strikeforce's broadcast partners at Showtime have led to a largely frosty relationship. However, this booking represents a temporary change in direction, as the UFC and Strikeforce rosters were previously considered mutually exclusive.
After the fight, both Mir and Cormier will compete in the UFC after a decision this past fall for Strikeforce to dissolve its heavyweight division and focus on developing other weight classes. Many of the company's heavyweights moved to the UFC, while Cormier stayed to finish out the heavyweight tournament.
Last edited by lexecutioner13 on Jul 26. 2012, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
lexecutioner13
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Re: UFC sending Frank Mir to Strikeforce to fight Daniel Comier

Postby lexecutioner13 » Jul 25. 2012, 22:12

interesting move. Excellent!

lexecutioner13
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Keeeee » Jul 25. 2012, 22:20

better matchup than most thought
seems like a gimme though, mir has shit takedowns and bad striking, this has cormier winning written all over it
[quote="taratada"]

This is why I am:
1. LOLing at Anderson Silva fans for thinking he will destroy Vitor
2. Placing a nice 100$ bet on V Belfort
3. Collecting 200+ $$$ in profit
4. LOLing at Anderson Silva fans even harder for being such idiots!!![/quote]
Keeeee
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Jbruck420 » Jul 25. 2012, 22:28

Cormier is gonna smash him. This is AWESOME!
Jbruck420
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby RBCa » Jul 25. 2012, 22:36

Awesome idea, bad fight. Although I would love for Mir, of all people, to be the one to stop Cormier's hype.
MMAShare: A Dickrider's wet-dream.
RBCa
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby kraig7777 » Jul 25. 2012, 22:37

Poor old Tim must be heart broken.

"Oh, like you don't do it"
kraig7777
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Coach Rich » Jul 25. 2012, 22:51

I'm not so certain Cormier wins this. Frank's stand-up is much better than he is given credit. Cormier, while a very good fighter, has been fortunate to face upper echelon opponents who are a favorable match-up for his skill set. I'm not completely sure that is the case with Mir. Mir will have a distinct size and reach advantage. While Cormier is an olympic level wrestler, he could be in a world of hurt on the ground with Mir's submission game.

I love this match-up!
Don't kiss an ass that's about to shit on you.
Coach Rich
Drunken old fart
Drunken old fart

Postby oblivion » Jul 25. 2012, 22:59

I think Mir subs him. Mir is much better on the ground than Barnett.
oblivion
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby Mcintosh 1994 » Jul 25. 2012, 23:00

YESSS WAR MIR!!!!!!!!!
Nick Diaz is the best fighter of all time
Mcintosh 1994
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Okstate2011 » Jul 25. 2012, 23:09

WAR CORMIER!

Glad to see this match up. Much better for Cormier than the Sylvia fight because Mir is a bigger name and can actually offer Cormier some challenges which will make his victory more important than a stomping over Tim would have been.

I will agree with Coach that Mir is better fighting off his back than Barnett, but I will be surprised if the fight goes to the ground very much as I don't think Cormier will force it there and there is no way Mir can take him down. Also I don't think Mir will pose that much of a challenge to Cormier in the stand up. Cormier's speed advantage will be very apparent and will lead him to the victory.

The only way I see Mir winning this fight would be if he could find a way to use his size advantage by pinning Cormier against the cage and wall and stall. Yet Cormier is too good of a wrestler to let that happen.

"You know what I mean," or "You know what I'm saying" -Johny Hendricks when asked any question ever.
Okstate2011
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Lotos » Jul 25. 2012, 23:14

Coach Rich wrote:I'm not so certain Cormier wins this. Frank's stand-up is much better than he is given credit. Cormier, while a very good fighter, has been fortunate to face upper echelon opponents who are a favorable match-up for his skill set. I'm not completely sure that is the case with Mir. Mir will have a distinct size and reach advantage. While Cormier is an olympic level wrestler, he could be in a world of hurt on the ground with Mir's submission game.

I love this match-up!

So did Big Foot and Barnett. Infact, Mir is kind of a similar, but worse version of Barnett with no wrestling.

To be honest, Cormier's and Mir's striking can't even be comparable, Cormier's is so much better. Other than against a slow Roy Nelson and his first fight with Big Nog, when has Mir shown impressive striking? Cormier's olympic level wrestling will be used to keep the fight on the feet, Mir's ground game won't be a threat.

Frank Mir isn't a top HW, Cormier is top 5. Bad match-up imo. I predict an even quicker fight than the JDS fight because of Cormier not playing it as safe knowing Mir won't take him down.
Fedor, Lyoto Machida, Cro Cop, Silva, Shogun, Nick Diaz, Michael Bisping, Gunnar Nelson, Yushin Okami, JDS, Alexander Gustafsson.
Lotos
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Losemoney » Jul 25. 2012, 23:29

HOLY SHIT this is a million times better than Cormier vs. Sylvia!
Losemoney
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Jbruck420 » Jul 25. 2012, 23:32

Mir has a bad chin. Cormier is gonna land and when he does the shows over. That's how the fight is gonna go. Even if it goes to the ground. If Brock can stay on top and GnP then Cormier sure can

I'm not sure is Mir is better than Barnett striking wise.
Jbruck420
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Waftist » Jul 25. 2012, 23:35

This is a good idea by the UFC, it's a fairly interesting match-up! I'm picking Cormier by KO Round 1 or 2...

I wonder who Barnett will be fighting next? Maybe he will get Tim Sylvia...

JDS - Minotauro - Machida - Hendo - Hunt - Barnett - Shogun - Lawler - Cruz
Hester - Edwards - Gomi - Masvidal - OSP - Mousasi - Swanson - McCall - Penn
Amagov - Tanaka - Noons - Romero - Kim - Thatch - Calderwood - Eye - Zingano
Waftist
ONE TIME CRI CHAMPION
ONE TIME CRI CHAMPION

Next

Return to MMA NEWS & Your Own Articles

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts! MMA Forum, UFC Live Streaming and MMA Fight Videos!