After Almost Two Years As Champ, Why Does Edgar Still Have T

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject. Share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, ...

After Almost Two Years As Champ, Why Does Edgar Still Have T

Postby jontsu » Feb 22. 2012, 06:41

Latest MMASHARE Fight Videos on your e-mail:
After Almost Two Years As Champ, Why Does Edgar Still Have To Prove Himself To Us?
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Bookmark and Share

By Ben Fowlkes - Senior Writer

Follow @MMAFighting on Twitter, and Like MMA Fighting on Facebook.

Feb 21, 2012 - No one is scared of Frankie Edgar. Not really. No one in the UFC seems especially terrified of him, of what he might do to them, of the ways in which a fight with him might forever alter their lives and/or faces. That’s just not the kind of champion he is, and he knows it, even if he doesn’t know exactly why.

Fighters worry about him, maybe. They’re concerned. They know that Edgar keeps finding a way to win -- somehow -- and that’s a problem. Still, it’s not the kind of thing that keeps them up at night or keeps fans enthralled by his dominance, and even Edgar can’t quite explain why that is.

"I don’t know," he told MMA Fighting. "Maybe it’s because I’m a smaller guy. I’m not supposed to win."

According to the oddsmakers, that was true until very recently. The first time Edgar fought B.J. Penn for the UFC lightweight title, Penn was a 7-1 favorite. Even after Edgar beat him via decision to claim the belt, Penn was still somewhere in the neighborhood of a 3-1 favorite in the immediate rematch. Edgar won that fight too, this time even more convincingly than the first, but he was still a slight underdog when he defended the belt against Gray Maynard some four months later.

It wasn’t until the third fight with Maynard, which Edgar would go on to win via knockout, that he finally entered a title fight as the (slight) favorite. Even now, coming off arguably the biggest and most decisive win of his career, he’s just barely a favorite -- currently hovering at -130, according to most oddsmakers -- to beat Ben Henderson in Tokyo at UFC 144.

At a certain point, how do you not take this personally, if you’re Edgar? How do you resist the urge to smack the oddsmakers and experts upside the head with your championship belt, WWE-style, and ask them why you don’t get the same respect as the rest of the UFC title-holders?

Only, for better or worse, that’s not the kind of fighter Edgar is. He seems more inclined to laugh and shrug than launch into the Rodney Dangerfield ‘no respect’ schtick. Maybe he hasn’t made a believer out of everyone, he admitted, but "[t]hat doesn’t bother me. I think the longer it took people to come around, it means the more proving I had to do. And once people do come around, I feel like they’re going to stick with me longer."

Besides, there’s not much you can take away from a champion who’s 14-1-1, and has avenged the loss and the draw with a dramatic knockout victory.

"You can’t deny what I did," Edgar said. "I beat B.J. Penn twice, and a lot of people considered him the best lightweight ever. Then I beat Gray, who had never been beaten before. Not only did I beat him, I stopped him."

And yet, even Edgar will admit that the public perception does have some effect, however slight, on the way he perceives his own title reign. This weekend’s fight in Tokyo will mark the first time in over two years that he’s fought someone not named Penn or Maynard, which, for a while there, turned his training into a real mental grind.

"I think that’s why I didn’t really get caught up in [being the champion,]" he said. "I remember coming home with the belt and getting a call from Dana [White] pretty much that next day saying, ‘You’ve got to fight B.J. again.' I never really even got to settle in to being the champion. I had to get ready to defend it. ...Then I was the underdog my past few fights, so I never even got a chance to feel like a champion. I felt like I constantly had to prove myself, and I kind of still feel that way today."

But how long can that go on? If he beats Henderson, thus defending his title against its third consecutive challenger, who can still doubt him? Who can still look at him and see a champion on borrowed time?

Maybe the better question is, who still sees him that way now? If wins over Penn and Maynard aren’t enough, what will be?

Perhaps we’ll find out soon enough, but in the meantime it doesn’t seem to be bothering Edgar all that much. He’s had plenty of time to get used to it. At this point, maybe he wouldn’t even know how to be that terrifying, dominant champion who the fight world reveres. Maybe he wouldn’t want to be.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/2/21/2814191/after-almost-two-years-as-champ-why-does-frankie-edgar-still-have-to
Favorite fighters: 1. Diaz bros 2. Übereem 3. Mousasi 4. Rory 5. Others
jontsu
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Re: After Almost Two Years As Champ, Why Does Edgar Still Have T

Postby jontsu » Feb 22. 2012, 06:58

Interesting subject imo, since I have never really been impressed by him, with an exception of his takedowns to Penn.
KO victory against Gray was nice, because you don't really expect a knockout from Edgar. He's been in SO BIG TROUBLE in his last 2 against Gray (win or not) that he doesn't seem like Aldo or others who come in and destroy, or be notches above the rest of the division.

IMO he's being actually not s good as the other top 5 candidates. While Frankie was getting beat up by Gray, rolling around the octagon as being rocked, Bendo steamrolled his way to the top against just as tough competition, Nate upsetted Cerrone, (who I'd say is better thatn both edgar and gray, even tho totalyy diffferent style) very convincingly, Pettis got back from his LNP loss, Jim Miller stopped Melvin in the 1st as did Lauzon. + Then there's the top 5 fighters that are outside of UFC. Melendez, Aoki, Chandler, Alvarez

Favorite fighters: 1. Diaz bros 2. Übereem 3. Mousasi 4. Rory 5. Others
jontsu
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby axelstoner » Feb 22. 2012, 07:09

in 4 fights he fought 2 guys thats why! since 2009 hes fought 2 guys thats why ! hendo will beat frankie
axelstoner
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Sasori » Feb 22. 2012, 07:56

Time is irrelevant. Frankie has still beaten the same people if hes on the side lines for a century. I understand very well why people doubt. A lot of fighters have been "exposed" so to speak. He just needs to prove people wrong.
Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby abenaben » Feb 22. 2012, 09:50

for frankies doubters.. do you really think bendo can beat bj 2x?? or KO gray? c'mon... outside frankie gray is unbeatable in LW.. a smaller version of gsp.. not all talent but a product of hardwork and perseverence... an inspiration to a lot...
abenaben
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Sasori » Feb 22. 2012, 09:53

abenaben wrote:for frankies doubters.. do you really think bendo can beat bj 2x?? or KO gray? c'mon... outside frankie gray is unbeatable in LW.. a smaller version of gsp.. not all talent but a product of hardwork and perseverence... an inspiration to a lot...

Based on what is he unbeatable? Seriously Id like to know how you come to that conclusion. Grey is NOT a smaller version of GSP, with GSP you get high skill in all aspects, he can do what every he wants to his opponents, I would never eeeever compare the two.
Bendo on his worst day still is pretty competitive and he has only looked better and better. Edgar is going down.

Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby therealweagle » Feb 22. 2012, 10:11

axelstoner wrote:in 4 fights he fought 2 guys thats why! since 2009 hes fought 2 guys thats why ! Bendo will beat frankie

fixed
Its better to let ppl think you're a fool than post a butthurt reply and prove them right.
TUF 14 Invitational Winner
"Why would I hold him down when I can stare him down." - Hendo
WeedMan>Spiderman Sas
I am Hamelicous
therealweagle
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Nycto Von Dickto » Feb 22. 2012, 10:17

He doesn't get the respect because he almost got KO'd in the first round twice, with a guy whose only ever knocked out himself.
--------
--------
"when they ate the apple, i believe the second law of thermodynamics became what it is today"
--------
--------
Nycto Von Dickto
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby matt0204 » Feb 22. 2012, 10:25

abenaben wrote: do you really think bendo can beat bj 2x?? or KO gray?

Yes.
matt0204
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby KrazyBee » Feb 22. 2012, 10:41

I feel he may have rematched himself out of relevancy.

It happens - two rivals tie up belts for too long and the rest of the division passes them by. Shogun and Machida, Chuck and Randy, Bowe and Holyfield.

It takes it out of their bodies and places them in a bubble where they are unfamiliar with the changes in the rest of the division.

Head to the Striking forum and check out:

"Jimmy Wilde - The Art of Boxing"

AND

"Boxing Tactics of Foreign Masters - K. V. Gradopolov"
KrazyBee
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Predator225 » Feb 22. 2012, 10:45

KrazyBee wrote:I feel he may have rematched himself out of relevancy.

It happens - two rivals tie up belts for too long and the rest of the division passes them by. Shogun and Machida, Chuck and Randy, Bowe and Holyfield.

It takes it out of their bodies and places them in a bubble where they are unfamiliar with the changes in the rest of the division.

interesting theory, but I don't know if it applies to Edgar yet, if he loses to Bendo, then maybe, but for now it is just a theory what could happen.
Last edited by Predator225 on Feb 22. 2012, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Woe to you O earth and sea
for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
for it is a human number
it's number is six hundred and sixty six."
Predator225
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby matt0204 » Feb 22. 2012, 10:45

KrazyBee wrote:I feel he may have rematched himself out of relevancy.

Great point.........among the many you have made.
matt0204
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby THE_H20 » Feb 22. 2012, 12:49

I have him ud ing bendo anyway. He'd beat lauzon by finish and out score cowboy. And use the condit tactic against Diaz.
THE_H20
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby traeblack » Feb 22. 2012, 12:52

Sasori wrote:
abenaben wrote:for frankies doubters.. do you really think bendo can beat bj 2x?? or KO gray? c'mon... outside frankie gray is unbeatable in LW.. a smaller version of gsp.. not all talent but a product of hardwork and perseverence... an inspiration to a lot...

Based on what is he unbeatable? Seriously Id like to know how you come to that conclusion. Grey is NOT a smaller version of GSP, with GSP you get high skill in all aspects, he can do what every he wants to his opponents, I would never eeeever compare the two.
Bendo on his worst day still is pretty competitive and he has only looked better and better. Edgar is going down.

For the sake of your avatar being taken away from you for 5 months, you better hope he does. :lol:

traeblack
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Next

Return to MMA NEWS & Your Own Articles

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts! MMA Forum, UFC Live Streaming and MMA Fight Videos!